Friday, September 7, 2007

Minus 6

My boss, who calls me Miss Herbalessence because he can't remember my real name, just informed me that I'm -6 for the week. I know this sounds negative (get it? -6, negative? HAHAHA) but it really isn't . It means I've closed more claims than I received this week. So let's say I got 20 claims this week. -6 means I closed 26 claims. Seems like quite the feat, doesn't it? The goal is to be at 100% or higher (another oxymoron) by the end of the year. How can we POSSIBLY close more files than we get during the year, you ask? That's what we ask too. But, it can be done, and is EXPECTED.

Today, Sarah is going to Chicago to see the "Flaming Lips" I wonder if their lips are on fire while they sing and that's why no one can understand them? She's taking her Chevy S10 pickup that she informs me "chugs" sometimes at stop signs. She didn't do any of the things I told her to do, like change the oil, get a tuneup, save her money for gas, etc. Luckily, another car load of kids will be going along too, so someone else will be there to help should anything...break. I WAS able to talk them into leaving at 10 am instead of 1 pm. I convinced them that being in Chicago rush hour traffic on a Friday would be worse than missing the concert altogether. So if they actually get out of town by 10, they should make Chicago by 2 pm (maybe 3 pm with potty breaks and all that).

This morning when I got up for work, Sarah was up (!). I took a shower and then got on-line to check her bank balance and decide how much money to give her for the trip. This is a touchy area. I don't want to give her more than she needs because she'll spend it. But I don't want to give her less than she needs in case she runs out of gas or something horrid like that. So while I was debating with myself, one of her IM buddies popped up with this, "!". I said, "This is Sarah's mom, not Sarah." It was her friend Ryan, and he told me he was so excited about the concert he only got 2 hours of sleep. Oh, that makes me feel WAY better about you guys going to the concert. I didn't say that, of course. But I did make him promise to be careful. He said they would, and of course I believe him.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to get a frantic call at 2 am saying one of these things:

1. Mom, the car broke down in inner city Chicago! What should I do?
2. Mom, I'm out of gas and I don't have any more money because I spent it all on t-shirts and food at the concert. What should I do?
3. Mom, I'm in jail. What should I do?

So the big decision is, leave the phone on, or turn it off? Don't worry. Even if I DID turn my phone off, Joe w0uldn't be able to stand it and he'd turn it back on. He is the ultimate "gotta be connected at all times" kinda guy.

No comments: