Sunday, September 16, 2007

Guilty Conscience

Sigh.

Here's the deal. When Sarah left for California. She asked me if I would keep her dog, Mama until she got back. She said if I didn't want to, one of her friends would watch her if we would pay for her dog food (!). I told her we'd see how it goes for now.

She has not asked about Mama one single time since she's been gone. Mama, meanwhile, is getting more and more excited and full of nervous energy since she doesn't get the exercise she was. She barks, literally bounces off the furniture and is entirely too big for our "small dog" townhouse. She has to be kennelled all night and most of the day. How unfair. She tears the house up if we don't kennel her when we are gone.

So, I decided that she needs a home elsewhere. At lunch on Friday, I mentioned to 3 of my co-workers that I'm going to find a home for Mama. Before I knew it, one of my co-workers said they have been looking for a dog for their family. He called his wife, and wa-la, a done deal. I took Mama over to his house. It's HUGE. With a HUGE back yard to run in. Better yet, with two boys, ages 6 & 8 who adored her immediately and were so excited to have her they were beside themselves.

On the one hand, she's going to be so much happier now. On the other, I wasn't REALLY ready to do this, and I haven't said anything to Sarah. So, I'm really torn about the whole thing.

Butch is certainly happier. And the house is MUCH calmer. And ... I miss her.

Sigh.

No comments: