Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Clothing issues

I had the most horrid time finding something to wear today. It's not that I don't HAVE anything to wear. It's just that everything that is clean is either in need of some sort of repair or too wrinkled to wear without ironing, and I got up too late to iron. Heck. As it was, I was lucky my hair was dry by the time I got to work.

So, I finally (after sifting through the clothing in my closet at least 6 times) came across a blouse I bought this summer because "the price was right". I think I spent 7 bucks on it. It has a belt. I hate belts on shirts. But at the time, I thought, "Maybe it will be o.k. without a belt". Anyway, I brought the thing home and washed it. To my dismay, I found two more things not to like other than the belt. One, it cannot be pulled out of the dryer unwrinkled. It MUST be ironed. Undaunted, I ironed it. That's when I found the second thing. Part of the hem had come undone, and hung down. Completely noticeable.

I put the blouse away, telling myself I'd "fix" it. Well, today is the day. It was my only option without having to iron. I put it on. And this is what I did to fix it:

-I put some double sticky tape from my paper craft stuff on it to hold it together. Didn't even TOUCH it. Still hung down.
-I got two safety pins. One I could put in without it being seen from the outside. The other showed a little bit of pin. When I got to work, I took some tape, folded it in a circle with the inside out, and taped my hem shut.
-It that fails me later, I'll just staple it.

Perhaps I'll go to the craft store and get some $7.00 stitching witchery stuff that can be used to iron in a hem to make it stick. That will double the cost of this blouse though, and considering the fact that I have to iron it, it may not be worth the cost. Tape and safety pins seem to be working fine so far.

It seems to me that $7.00 for a one-time-wear blouse that I don't even really like might not be a bad thing.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

What is an iron????

Mavis said...

It's what you use to press the seams on your quilt block. :)

Teresa said...

OH! So Christy should make a quilt out of the offending shirt and all will be well!

Mavis said...

Is it pretty fabric? Maybe it would make a nice pot holder.

Christy said...

The potholder comment really made me laugh.