Friday, November 23, 2007

BLACK FRIDAY

Today is Black Friday. I was at the mall at 3 am. But not for the reason you might think. The pet care person where Joe works called in sick last night, and Joe had to go in at 3 am to clean the kennels, and all the other critter areas, as well as give shots and all that. The mall opened at 6 for most stores, but some were open at 5:00 (like Target). People are CRAZY. There were people at the mall waiting for stores to open at 3:00 when we got there!

So, Joe and I did all the pre-open stuff at the pet store, and about 6:30, we went to breakfast at Chick-fil-a. They have a killer breakfast burrito. Then Joe went back to work, and I thought, Well, I'm already here. I might as well go to Target and see what they have.

I remember now WHY I decided never to go shopping on Black Friday before afternoon. I did it one other time a few years ago. Apparently it's like having a baby. Eventually the pain of childbirth recedes from your mind and you believe it wasn't so bad, and you can do it again. Black Friday Early Morning is like that. You forget how bad it was and decide to try it again...

The mall itself wasn't all that bad. Kinda like a busy weekend. But Target was insane. I didn't even get a cart, not that there were any available. Even the days prior to school starting didn't touch how many people were in Target today. It took me 10 minutes just to get from the door opening into the mall to the doors to the outside. You know how it is. People stopping in the isle to look, blocking everyone else from moving through. One lady totally ran into me me with her cart from behind. She didn't "see" me because she had a box in her cart that was taller than both of us. When I did get to the isle leading to the outside I was confronted with the most amazing sight. Carts. Two rows of carts, going the entire length of the store and around the corner. It would take at least one & half hours just waiting in line to get to the cash register.

When I finally freed myself from the crush of humanity, I thought I was going to witness a massive accident between cars wanting my parking place. I had a primo parking spot since I was one of the very first people at the mall. I was so glad to get out of there! I was so traumatized I couldn't even bring myself to go shopping the rest of the day.

Hopefully the pain will fade and I'll be able to at least shop in the afternoon next Black Friday...

Let the Christmas Carols begin! Black Friday is here!

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I braved Target for Josh's gift. It was 24 degrees and the line was around the side of the building, so I waited in my nice warm car until 6:03. I went straight back to the thing I wanted to get. It was GONE!!!!! You'd think if they advertise something it would last more than 5 minutes. It was a buy this get that free type of thing. The add on was gone, so I told the person I could get the base for the same price any where and left. So did the lady behind me. Hee hee. I'm sure our small protest will change Target's teaser policy for next year -- not!!

Christy said...

grr. That's really mean that they do that, but it also drives the nutty black friday stuff because people want to get there before the stuff is gone. Sorry you missed it!

Mavis said...

I had to go to Radio Shack today and John said he'd just wait in the car. When I finally came back he grumbled about me taking too long! Like I wanted to stand in Radio Shack for an hour to buy one thing.