Thursday, August 10, 2006

WHY do I have a dog?

I tell you what. There are days when I don't know what I'd do with out Butch. And then there are days like today when I think to myself, "Why the hell do I have a dog?" Because if I'm even a little bit late, Butch lets me know he's upset by doing horrid things. Usually he will pee or poop on the floor. Sometimes he will turn over a trash can if one is accessable, and eats what ever is in there. You would not believe the things I have seen that dog poop.

As you may recall from yesterday, I worked on my worm farm. Let me explain just a little about that. I have frogs and a bearded dragon that all eat mealworms. Lots of mealworms. The place I volunteer at (Wild Care) raises meal worms for all the birds they take in that eat insects. Someone there offered to make a meal worm farm for me. In a nutshell, mealworms have 3 life stages: The beetle (can't fly) lays eggs, which hatch into mealworms, become pupae and then new beetles. I noticed my mealworm farm was losing ground on the worms, and gaining lots of beetles. So I looked on line to see what I was doing wrong, and as it happens, I need to separate out the 3 stages. This really isn't as hard as it sounds once it gets going I think, but separating it all out to start with took a lot of time. And I put all the "Frass" (waste) in a trash can along with the rotted food in the container. THEN, I FORGOT TO TAKE OUT THE TRASH.

I come home from work, admittedly a little later than usual. I walk in the door and notice that Butch had not pooped on the floor. I tell him what a good dog he is, and take him outside to do what he needs to do.

I came upstairs and Butch had dragged the trash can OUT of the critter room, into the hall and proceeded to string out all that crap PLUS all the stuff I cleaned out of the bird cages last night. Grrrrrr. He didn't even come upstairs with me because he knew he was in trouble. I looked and he was standing on the steps hiding, waiting to see if he was in trouble. I used my stern "you're in trouble buddy" voice and he ran back downstairs. What a gross and disgusting mess to clean up. I really hate to do this, but it is time for Butch to hit the kennel when I'm gone for the day. He'll get over it. He sleeps most of the day anyway.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Well, maybe he doesn't sleep ALL day! ;)